Sodality of The Blessed Virgin Mary
The word Sodality comes from the Latin word sodalist, meaning “companion”. A Sodality is an organization of companions or friends.
The Sodality of Our Lady, also known as the Sodality of the Blessed Virgin Mary, was founded in 1563 by Jesuit Priest Jean Leunis when he decided to gather his pupils, boys and men, in front of the Altar of Mary to consecrate themselves to her, and to place themselves in her hands so they would be guided in defending our Catholic Faith from those who at the time, were seeking to undermine it.
Membership spread quickly throughout Europe and later to America, but it wasn’t until 1751 when Pope Benedict XIV extended membership to women and girls. Today, the Sodality membership is worldwide and includes the Holy Father, Cardinals, Bishops, Priests, Nuns, and lay persons of all ages.
The Sodality of the Blessed Virgin Mary was organized to increase the personal holiness of its members and to train them in the charitable work for others. It aims at fostering in its members an ardent devotion, reverence, and filial love towards the Blessed Virgin Mary, and through this devotion and under her protection, it seeks to make its members good Catholic Christians.
Within our Blessed Trinity Parish, the Sodality was first formed in Saint Anne’s Parish in March of 1955, under the spiritual direction of Revered Edward Desmond. Its membership currently includes a total of 125 Sodalists.
Some of the events the Sodality has organized in the past include:
- The Valentine “Heart-to-Heart” Project – Confirmation candidates work with Sodalists to put together cookie and fruit containers to deliver to approx. 140 recipients across the region.
- Sponsor and award a $600 Scholarship in collaboration with the Knights of Columbus, to a deserving college bound parishioner.
- Participation in Littleton Holiday Bazaar – Sodalists bake and sell cookies, chili, and breads of different kinds, as well as raffle multiple donated items. Proceeds help fund the Sodality’s charitable events.
- Organized the Wine Tasting Festival – Proceeds from this event have helped fund gifts to the Parish such as the Easter candle, etc.
- Host speakers throughout the year to present on inspirational topics related to community outreach and works of mercy.
- Organized different kinds of social events to promote the Sodality’s rules while helping raise funds to support its mission.
The Sodality of Our Lady welcomes new members of all ages. We meet four times a year and are currently looking for suggestions on new events. If you are interested in joining this remarkable and rewarding ministry or if you are interested in sharing any feedback, please click on their name to contact via email Jennifer Canfield or Gloria Rios-Monarrez. You can also contact the parish office at (978) 320-4220.
Sodality of The Blessed Virgin Mary Scholarship
The Sodality of The Blessed Virgin Mary will award one scholarship to a graduating high school senior from Westford or Littleton, who is planning to attend college, or a technical school. Those interested in applying, should watch online for the application process for 2023.